Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Far Hills, New Jersey
Type: Full Time
The Upper School English Teacher teaches Grades 7 and 8 and is a collaborative
member of the English Department and Upper School teams. The successful
candidate will cultivate an inclusive and supportive classroom environment that
reaches every student based on their learning style and strengths. Using multiple
teaching techniques, the Upper School English Teacher engages students to
progress in reading, listening, and communicating proficiency. The teacher creates
a dynamic English classroom that promotes critical thinking and learning skills and
respects diverse perspectives.
Other responsibilities include teaching in the Upper School advising program,
leading an activity period, and participating on committees. Coaching and
additional duties may also be expected.
This is a full-time, exempt position. During the school year, the Upper School
English Teacher will be expected to be on campus from 7:55 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Additionally, presence and participation are expected during weekly faculty
meetings on Wednesdays from 4:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Responsibilities and Duties
Far Hills Country Day School’s Upper School English Teacher’s responsibilities
include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create, oversee, and deliver the English curriculum for Grades 7 and 8.
- Ensure curricular alignment with best practices in language arts methodology.
- Establish goals and innovative assessments based on school and national
proficiency standards for the English language.
- Utilize effective teaching methods in a language arts classroom.
- Integrate technology as a powerful tool for learning in the language arts classroom, including the use of Google tools for collaboration and communication.
- Build positive and meaningful relationships with students through instruction and community-wide activities.
- Facilitate an engaging and student-centered learning experience.
- Communicate effectively and proactively with parents regarding student performance.
- Collaborate with other teachers across subject areas, especially the History department.
- Work with the Director of Upper School and Directors of the Grades 5 and 6 and Grades 7 and 8 Houses to construct grade-level objectives and ensure their realization.
- Actively seek out professional development opportunities to enhance the teaching craft and remain current on best practices.
- Actively engage in the Upper School advising program.
- Work with and support student advisees in their academic and character development.
- Participate in coaching athletics, ensembles, or other performing arts
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Upper School.
- Assist with other school-wide duties, including field trips and Adventure trips.
- Actively participate in English Department, Upper School division, and Full
An ideal candidate must possess:
- at least three years of experience teaching English, preferably middle school;
- excellent organizational, collaboration, and communication skills;
- a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred);
- understanding of and commitment to fostering character development in middle school students; and
- familiarity with Google Suite and ability to use a learning management system.