Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Portland, Oregon
Type: Full Time
Catlin Gabel School requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19
unless a medical or religious exemption is approved.
Catlin Gabel School in Portland, OR is looking for a High School (Upper School) English Teacher for the 2023-2024 School year! This teacher would be well-versed in teaching three sections (0.75 FTE) of foundational English courses as well as analytical and creative writing. This role requires dedication to the improvement of student writing, a commitment to building a diverse and inclusive community, and a passion for lifelong learning. This position utilizes a variety of teaching methods to support different learning styles, academic abilities, and student success in comprehension of literature and writing skills.
Success in the position will be evaluated based on the individual’s ability to support the Upper School in achievement of their goals, which includes:
- Collaborating with other upper school teachers, educators, and specialist teachers to develop curriculum, and plan special projects
- Planning and teaching a challenging course of study in a developmentally appropriate manner, with an eye toward differentiating instruction
- Employing technology to enhance student learning.
- Creating a culturally competent and inclusive classroom environment through regular class meetings, supportive exchanges with students, and clear expectations for classroom behavior
- Communicating in a clear and timely fashion with parents, students, and colleagues
- Cooperatively working and effectively communicating with parents in conferences and written reports in ways that meet the needs of the student and the school
- Attending meetings, actively listening, and contributing to the discussion.
- Acting as an Upper School advisor
- Working collaboratively with fellow staff members and administrators in curriculum design, assessment, and instruction as it pertains to specific grade levels and program
- Participating on class trips (including overnights) and/or experiential learning activities on and off campus in support of student learning and community building
Pay Rate: $ 53,462-$96,558/year
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Rhetoric, or Comparative Literature required; MA or MFA preferred
- At least two years of teaching experience with adolescents
- Understanding and experience with student-centered teaching, project-based learning, and performance-based assessment
Requirements when applying:
- Cover Letter (Add to Supporting Documents tab of application)
- Teaching Philosophy Statement (Add to Supporting Documents tab of application)
Apply at the school’s career website:
Please visit https://www.catlin.edu/about/employment for more information about Catlin Gabel School and hiring process.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color, LGBTQ candidates or candidates from communities that are historically underrepresented in independent schools. We are committed to an inclusive school experience for all those who come to work at Catlin Gabel School.
Review of applications begins immediately, and position is open until filled. This positions has a tentative start date for August 16, 2023.