Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Santa Monica, California
Type: Full Time
Salary: $75,000 - $100,000
ABOUT NEW ROADS
In an authentically diverse community reflective of Los Angeles, New Roads prepares young people for life by developing in them a personal dedication to learning, a respect for independent thinking, an expanding curiosity about the world and its people, and a commitment to the common good.
In alignment with the school's Mission, Statement of Philosophy, and Commitments, the New Roads Middle School English Program provides tools to participate intellectually, socially, politically, and morally, “to read well and write clearly,” “to reason and to question thoughtfully, soundly, critically, and ethically,” “to invite and seek to understand contradictory and complementary perspectives,” and “to listen and and understand empathically.”
Reporting to the Middle School Director, the Middle School English Teacher is responsible for teaching students in grades 6-8.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide students with opportunities and support in the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills, the exploration of ideas, and the development of leadership qualities
- Maintain and communicate high expectations and boundaries in a consistently kind, clear and respectful manner.
- Maintain a climate of trust and mutual respect, which encourages students to risk asking questions, expressing their opinions, and making mistakes necessary to the learning process.
- Differentiate for individual students based on their unique learning needs so all students are appropriately engaged and challenged
- Ensure students are engaged through activities and technology that accommodate various learning styles, personality styles, behavioral styles, and the need for physical movement
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to create interdisciplinary units that teach grade-level content knowledge and skills through humanities
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting big goals by frequently checking for understanding and formative assessment
- Communicate respectfully and thoughtfully with parents/guardians, remaining sensitive to different families’ cultures,values and needs.
- Show concern for and nurture the student’s intellectual, social, emotional, ethical, and aesthetic development.
- Show a commitment to supporting the holistic development of the student, both inside and outside of the class
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development
- Participate in department, school, and parent meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, New Roads’ mission statement and philosophy and approach to education.
- Demonstrate commitment to access, equity, and inclusion and working with a diverse community.
- Experience and interest in differentiated instruction, project-based, constructivist approach teaching and learning, as well as portfolio, authentic, and performance assessment.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of subject matter, including grammar, and effectiveness in teaching.
- Desire to teach reading comprehension skills, research skills, and building vocabulary.
- Knowledge of supporting the metacognitive skills and learning strategies to access the disciplines
- Knowledge of how to teach students to use texts, as well as other resources as a tool for teaching themselves and comprehending the materials
- Desire to collaborate across disciplines
- Solid organization, communication, and writing skills
- Excellent classroom management skills
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Understand theories related to middle school students’ developmental milestones and socio-emotional lives
- Passion for teaching and understanding of and respect for students’ individual learning styles
- Passion for personal and professional growth
- B.A. degree required/ M.A. degree preferred in Education or related field.
- 3+ years teaching experience required
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit an online application and upload a cover letter and resume at: https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=95341&clientkey=B58F74479D3E4429894E592A78B88B09
The salary range for this role is $75,000 - $100,000. This is the lowest to highest salary we reasonably expect to pay for this role at the time of this posting. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range, and the range may be modified in the future. An employee’s pay position within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, performance, and organizational needs