Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: 150
La Pietra - Hawaii School for Girls seeks a full-time high school English teacher for the school year 2023-2024. This is an interim position, expected to begin late July 2023 through early June 2024.
The ideal candidate will hold a degree in the subject area or a related field, have teaching experience with high school students, preferably in an independent school, and be knowledgeable of best practices in education.
- Teach up to three sections per term within a 4 x 4 block schedule
- Serve as a homeroom teacher and class advisor
- Contribute to the school’s co-curricular program, e.g. as an athletic coach or club sponsor.
- Work with students, families, and school staff to promote student success and ensure student well-being
- Participate in and contribute to general faculty work, such as meetings, planning, student supervision, and professional development
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in subject area, Education, or related field
- Evidence demonstrating successful experience in teaching any of the grade levels listed above, with willingness to teach both middle school and high school grade levels
- Willingness to teach within a block schedule and with a mastery approach to instruction
- Evidence demonstrating contributions to a school environment beyond classroom instruction
- Evidence demonstrating a successful track record as a positive, charismatic adult presence in the lives of young people, with an awareness of the role boundaries between teacher, student, and parent
- Evidence demonstrating a successful track record as a positive, productive colleague in working with other adults in a school setting
- Understanding and appreciation of the culture, history, and diversity of Hawai‘i
- A personal demeanor that demonstrates empathy, industriousness, and kindness
- Physical presence and ability to begin working in Hawai‘i no later than July 31, 2023
- Advanced degree in subject area, Education, or related field
- Evidence of a successful track record of teaching in both middle and high school grade levels
- Previous experience teaching within a block schedule and/or in a mastery or competency-based environment
- Understanding and appreciation of single-gender school contexts, particularly an all-girls independent school
- Previous experience as a faculty advisor of a school club or coach of a team
- Evidence demonstrating additional expertise in any of the following fields: general educational research; learning neuroscience; educational psychology; curriculum and instruction; diversity, equity, and inclusion; educational technology implementation; or career experience in an area unrelated to teaching that enriches instructional practice
- Prolonged periods of sitting or standing
- Limited physical effort required
- Work is normally performed in an office environment; may occasionally be outdoors
Following the instructions below is an important step to ensure your application is considered
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- a cover letter indicating interest and describing potential fit
- a La Pietra employment application form, available on the school’s website: https://www.lapietra.edu/about/careers
Materials may be submitted via email to: email@example.com and may be addressed to Dawn Ijiri, Director of Human Resources. Please include the term “SY 23-24 HS English” in email subject field.
About the school
Founded in 1964, La Pietra – Hawai‘i School for Girls is a secular independent day school in Honolulu, Hawai‘i enrolling approximately 100 girls in grades 6-12. The campus is located at the foot of Diamond Head state monument, on the grounds of an estate modeled after an Italian villa, and approximately one-quarter mile from Waik?k? beach. The school is refining its academic and extra-curricular program to incorporate the notion of ‘educating for purpose,’ keeping the student experience as the primary metric of success. To that end, the school incorporates the RULER socio-emotional learning program, and is a member of Global Online Academy, One Schoolhouse, and the Mastery Transcript Consortium. La Pietra – Hawai‘i School for Girls offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive, market-leading benefits package to its employees. More details are available at: https://www.lapietra.edu/about/careers
La Pietra – Hawai‘i School for Girls does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or gender, age, national origin, ancestry, marital status, arrest and court record except as provided by Hawai‘i Revised Statutes §378-2.5, disability, sexual orientation, military/veterans status, or other grounds protected under applicable state and federal laws, regulations, and/or executive orders. This policy governs all aspects of employment, including selection, job assignment, compensation, discipline, termination, and access to benefits and training.