Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Suffolk, Virginia
Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Nansemond-Suffolk Academy is an independent coeducational, college preparatory day school serving grades Pre-Kindergarten (including 2 year olds) through 12. The school has a current enrollment of approximately 900 students and 170 employees located on two campuses in Suffolk, Virginia. Nansemond-Suffolk Academy is accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools.
We are looking for a positive, enthusiastic, and proactive educator with a strong background teaching English and working with Middle School students grades 6 - 8. This position requires collaborative work with faculty within the English Department. We seek candidates who possess the following education, experience, capabilities and qualities:
- Plan, prepare and deliver creative and effective instructional and interactive lesson plans that lead to active learning experiences and enhance a student’s knowledge of English.
- Identify and select different instructional resources and methods to meet students’ varying needs.
- Lead students to develop critical thinking and process skills.
- Collaborate and plan on a regular basis with the other colleagues on the grade level team.
- Utilize technology to facilitate instruction and enhance learning.
- Participate in departmental level, divisional and whole school meetings and professional development activities.
- Advise a small group of students and hold conferences with students and parents.
- Provide time to mentor, tutor and assist students who may need extra help.
- Grade papers, projects and post grades in a timely manner.
- Communicate with parents regarding a student’s progress in the classroom.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or postgraduate degree in English or Education, with a concentration in English.
- Accomplished teacher of English with student-centered pedagogy.
- Current teaching certification in the state of Virginia, preferred, but not required.
- Technology proficiency is essential including use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and the use of SmartBoards and digital projectors preferably in an Apple environment. Proficiency with G Suite and Blackbaud preferred, but not required.
- Effective in integrating technology into the classroom to enhance learning.
- 1 – 5 years teaching experience preferred.
- Familiarity with teaching 21st Century and possesses a student centered outlook.
- Understanding of the needs of students in a challenging academic independent school environment.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other English teachers and ensure cohesion of the program across divisions.
- Understands the mission of the school and the need to focus on the education of the whole child.
- Takes initiative and is self-motivated.
- Values parents as a vital resource in educating a child.
- Represents the school positively in the community.
- Excellent organizational skills and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Understand the critical nature of building positive working relationships with students, parents and colleagues.
- Work collaboratively not only with teachers within the department but also school-wide.
Nansemond-Suffolk Academy offers a competitive salary, health, retirement, disability and life insurance benefits. Qualified applicants shall submit a completed NSA employment application (form posted online), resume with references and a cover letter explaining their interest in and qualifications for this position to Angie Thompson, director of finance and accounting, at email@example.com, for further consideration. Salary commensurate with experience.
At Nansemond-Suffolk Academy, students are engaged in personal growth, inspired to discover their passion and empowered to make a difference in the world.