Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Pottstown, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: 332
Instructor of English
The Hill School Mission: The Hill School prepares young people from across the country and around the world for college, careers, and life. Within a family school environment and a rigorous liberal arts curriculum, we challenge our young people to work hard; think and reason; be fulfilled; serve the common good; and be prepared to lead as citizens of the world, uniquely guided by our motto, “Whatsoever Things Are True.”
Position Title: Instructor of English
Reports To: English Department Chair
Status: Exempt, 10-month Residential, Teaching Faculty
The Hill School seeks a full-time Instructor of English with a start date of August 2023. The primary responsibilities of this professional will be to teach four sections of English. The ideal candidate will be comfortable teaching a variety of levels of English, with a demonstrated effectiveness in teaching.
Working closely with other members of the department to attend the English Department Student Learning Outcomes, this teacher will be responsible for classroom instruction, communication with students and parents as well as student advisers, and remaining current on educational issues.
Responsibilities and Qualifications
Ideally, a successful candidate will possess prior experience teaching English. The English teacher will also be expected to undertake responsibilities that are normally associated with a boarding school, such as serving on various school committees and participating in the school’s co-curricular and residential programs. Experience and demonstrated success working with diverse student communities is preferred, but not required. A bachelor’s degree is required; a master’s degree is preferred. Start date for this position is August 2023.
More specifically, responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to:
- Teaching 50-60 students per year;
- Writing the official school course comment on each student three times per year;
- Writing recommendations to college and various programs on behalf of individual students;
- Meeting with parents as appropriate;
- Traveling to conferences and workshops in order to maintain professional activities;
- Assisting the school’s residential program on weeknights and over weekends;
- Serving as an adviser to four to seven students.
Attitude and Demeanor
- Publicly support the mission and vision of The Hill School in a positive and professional manner.
- Work as a dynamic team member in a professional collaborative environment.
- Energetic and organized enough to thrive in an extremely fast-paced environment while collaborating with a growing team to produce great work.
- Ability to wear many hats, learn new things every day, and have the ability to switch from a variety of roles with ease and excitement.
- Communicate effectively with warmth, sensitivity, humor, and understanding as they deal with administrative colleagues, teachers, students, alumni, parents, faculty, staff, and program associates.
- Possess a “service attitude” - willingness to be flexible to meet the needs of the department and school.