Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
The Crefeld School seeks an experienced Middle School English Teacher to begin August 24, 2023 for the 2023-24 school year.
Serving students in grades 7 through 12, The Crefeld School's mission is to graduate self-aware, empathetic, lifelong learners, who possess an appreciation for diverse perspectives, their role in society, and their ability to act as agents of change. Towards this end, we seek the same attributes in our staff. Located in Chestnut Hill, Crefeld is a gender inclusive school, providing an intentionally different college preparatory program to help students become their best selves.
- Teaching 3 sections of combined 7/8 grade language arts classes. Curriculum is project-focused, literature-based, thematic, and focused on skill development needed for middle school.
- Robust collaboration with team teachers and support staff.
- Designing and teaching 2 semester-long elective courses.
- Advising 6-9 middle school students, typically for their entire middle school career.
- Leading a year-long service learning group as well as running co-curricular activities.
Ideal candidates will possess the following credentials / qualities:
- MA or BA in English (or English Education)Master’s degree preferred, Bachelor’s degree in English required. Preference for candidates with experience/certification in Special Education.
- 2 or more years teaching literature-based, college preparatory classes.
- Expertise at designing curriculum that is student-centered and differentiated.
- Strong advocate for meeting the needs of diverse learners; experience with Universal Design for Learning a plus.
- Passionate about social justice and using literature to understand diverse perspectives
- Pedagogical principles align with The Crefeld Approach (see school website).
- Experience with restorative practices. Crefeld is a restorative practices community that highly values student voice and collaborative problem solving.
The person we are seeking will possess demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and social justice and will be able to model anti-racist and anti-sexist practices with both students and staff. The Crefeld School provides a strongly collegial professional environment, where collaboration, participation, creativity, and flexibility are highly prized attributes. People of color and members of the LGBTQIA community are strongly encouraged to apply. Please email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls. Salary range is $40,000-$55,000 and includes a robust benefits package including 403b retirement matching and employee wellness opportunities. Accepting resumes until the position is filled.