San Diego, California
Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
Saint Thomas Choir School
Saint Thomas Choir School is an intentionally small boarding middle school for boys in grades 3-8 who sing in the Choir of Men and Boys of Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue. Our community is close-knit, and the program is both academically rigorous and musically enriching. The school is housed in a purpose-built, fourteen-story building located around the corner from Carnegie Hall, Columbus Circle, and Central Park.
Saint Thomas Choir School seeks a full-time Teacher of English for 5th through 8th grades to begin August 2023. As a full-time member of the faculty, the successful candidate will be in residence at the Choir School, and serve on the team of duty staff that work with Housemothers to supervise the boarding component of school life. We seek a colleague who understands and is committed to educating and raising boys, authentic and meaningful collaboration with peers, and to the rich and rewarding experience that our unique academic, choral, co-curricular, and residential program offers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, teach, and keep curriculum updated for 5th -8th Grade English
- Coordinate and meet regularly with the 3rd and 4th Grade Teacher to ensure English curriculum alignment
- Coordinate with the Assistant Head of School for Teaching and Learning regarding pedagogy and curriculum
- As part of a team, plan, teach, keep curriculum updated, and coordinate 7th and 8th Grade SSAT Prep/Writing Composition class and SSAT testing
- Monitor and communicate student progress, including submitting timely feedback to students, writing grade reports as requested, and meeting with parents as necessary
- Participate in all full school academic initiatives and meetings, including Social Justice
- Assist with secondary school search process for Grade 8 students
- Serve as academic co-advisor for one grade level
- Contribute fully and generously to the life of the school, including performing regular residential duties and supervision of student activities; supervise tours, trips, and other events as required by Head of School
- Coach one season of sports
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent is required
- At least three-five years of teaching experience, preferably in elementary and middle school.
Key Skills and Competencies
- Candidates must have exceptional interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills and display a collaborative, team-oriented work style
- A high degree of professionalism, discretion, confidentiality, and strong sense of boundaries is required
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, see, or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
This is a full-time position. In addition to robust school days, regular evening and periodic weekend residential duty will be required.
Conditions of Employment:
- The successful candidate must submit to pre-employment and ongoing background checks
- Applicants must provide proof of vaccinations
Salary and Benefits:
Housing and meals will be provided. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance with AD&D coverage, short and long-term disability, flexible spending, commuter benefits, a 403(b) retirement plan with substantial company match, paid parental leave, and generous paid-time-off benefits. Applicants should expect a salary between $40,000 and $48,000.
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, and list of three references to Christopher Seeley, Head of School, at firstname.lastname@example.org and Sharlene Shah, Director of HR, at email@example.com with English Teacher in the subject line. This position will remain open until filled.