Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Lake Forest, Illinois
Type: Full Time
Salary: Based on Salary Scale
Lake Forest Academy seeks an English Teacher to begin in August 2023. This position will teach four classes within the English curriculum and participate in the school’s co-curricular afternoon program, such as coaching responsibilities, which is expected of all faculty at the Academy. The school is deeply committed to maintaining a diverse faculty and student body, as well as an inclusive community. On-campus housing will most likely not be available for this position.
General overview of responsibilities:
- Teach assigned four sections of English courses
- Write formal comments on students four times per year and informal progress reports four times per year
- Meet with parents, as needed
- Maintain a Professional Growth Plan in consultation with the department chair
- Fulfill co-curricular expectations, often through coaching in the athletic program
- If residential faculty, fulfill weeknight (once a week) and weekend (3-4) residential duties
- Serve as a co-advisor to a small group of students
- Serve on committees and task forces, as needed
Required characteristics and/or skills of this position:
- Supports and acts in accordance with LFA’s mission and values, including fostering an inclusive environment
- Upholds LFA standards of professional courtesy, punctuality, discretion and confidentiality
- Demonstrates appropriate planning and preparation for instruction
- Develops and maintains a classroom atmosphere that inspires learning and fosters respect for all students
- Supports departmental goals and colleagues
- Possesses a strong understanding of 21st-century adolescents
- Ability to differentiate instruction and to appeal to a variety of learning styles
- Eagerness to be authentically involved in a boarding school community
Preferred experience and/or education:
- Bachelor's degree or higher required
- Experience teaching a broad range of core English courses and electives
- Experience teaching writing in the curriculum
- Experience with curricular leadership
Lake Forest Academy offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes full medical and dental coverage, 403(b) retirement plan, and other benefits. Final salary will be commensurate with the experience and expertise of the final appointed candidate.
Founded in 1857, Lake Forest Academy is a coed boarding school serving 440 academically bright and motivated students in grades 9 to 12 from across the globe. The Academy offers a rigorous curriculum focused on academic excellence and characterized by small classes and close faculty/student interaction. The school's mission of educational excellence is founded on the four pillars of character, scholarship, citizenship, and responsibility. The LFA community places students at the center of their own learning and provides the support needed to develop confidence and strong values. Please visit our website http://www.lfanet.org/ for more information about us.
Limitations and Disclaimer:
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
Employment at Lake Forest Academy is "at-will," which means either you or Lake Forest Academy may terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any reason without prior notice.
In accordance with Lake Forest Academy’s policies and state and federal law, receipt of this position is contingent upon the individual’s successful completion of all requirements to establish the legal right to work in the United States, as well as a background check. In the event Lake Forest Academy has not received a complete background check prior to the first day of employment, employment will be on a temporary basis until such results are successfully completed.
Lake Forest Academy is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. This means Lake Forest Academy will not discriminate against any employee or applicant based on race, religion, color, sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, transitioned, transitioning or perceived to be transitioning), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), marital status, domestic partner status, pregnancy and breastfeeding, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics or information, military and veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws.
Lake Forest Academy reasonably accommodates employees and/or applicants with disabilities, provided the individual is otherwise qualified to perform the essential functions of the job. If you believe that you need a reasonable accommodation, you must inform Lake Forest Academy’s Director of Human Resources & Risk Management.