San Diego, California
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Type: Full Time
Ashley Hall seeks a full-time English teacher for grades 5-8 to begin August 2023. The candidate will teach 5th and 6th grade English.
Qualifications and Personal Attributes
Ashley Hall is seeking an energetic, enthusiastic, and inspiring teacher who serves as a catalyst for student growth. Deep knowledge of and passion for the subject, especially in the areas of reading and writing instruction, are essential. Embracing the school’s mission and hallmarks, the ideal candidate possesses the skills and determination to make a significant difference in the lives of our students.
The ideal candidate for this position must be able to
- Teach English/Language Arts using a modular, inquiry-based, and project-based approach that emphasizes the following skills: reading comprehension, vocabulary acquisition, and all phases of the writing process.
- Develop engaging lesson plans designed to foster global perspectives in conjunction with the 5th and 6th grade history curriculum.
- Foster creativity and independent thinking in the classroom.
- Cultivate a caring classroom environment that supports the academic progress and socio-emotional development of each student.
- Share responsibilities for curriculum development as well as other departmental and divisional priorities, including national and international student trips.
- Collaborate with other faculty in grades 5-8 to facilitate the transition to the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (MYP) curriculum framework.
- Master's degree with a concentration in English or English-related fields (ie, Humanities, English Literature, American Studies, Comparative Literature, World Literature, Creative Writing, English Composition and Rhetoric, or English Education) preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of teaching experience working with middle grades students, specifically those in grades 5-8.
- Curriculum development knowledge; familiarity with principles of backward design.
- An understanding of best practices in the teaching of reading and writing.
- Inter-cultural awareness with well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Commitment to ensuring high standards of teaching and learning.
- Willingness to collaborate and work as part of a team.
- Strong knowledge of and experience in teaching in the IB MYP curriculum framework is preferred but not a requirement.
Interested candidates can send their cover letter, resume and list of references to Lynsey Barrows, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com
Ashley Hall is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetic information.