Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Windermere, Florida
Type: Full Time
High School English Teacher
Windermere Preparatory School is seeking an engaging and thoughtful English instructor to bring fresh ideas and variety into the English classroom. As a school, we believe that students deserve to be part of their education, not simply recipients of it. The ideal instructor understands, appreciates, and includes student voice in the decision making in the class. The school has established power standards and benchmarks, but we are seeking an instructor who will work with students to bring these elements to life through a variety of texts.
Our school bases its curricular alignment on the International Baccalaureate Program. Each class naturally leads through a progression of skills, and these skills lead them to be prepared for life in and beyond college. Within the development of unit plans, the candidate will have ample experience with cross-curricular planning. The ideal instructor is strong in both delivery of writing instruction and analytical evaluation of literary texts. Teachers at WPS are also proficient in technology integration in the classroom and can thoughtfully and purposefully engage students with various resources.
A successful teacher in this department relies on a variety of resources to deliver instruction. The teacher must have a mastery of sound educational best practices that reflect current trends, which will be evident in the classroom instruction and assessments. We are looking for transformative teachers who understand that the students’ experiences in the classroom must involve collaborative opportunities to develop deeper understanding. Though the teacher is the expert in the classroom, the expectation is that the students’ voices are amplified each class period. This position requires that the teacher is also a culturally responsive teacher.
3+ years teaching experience in the private school sector preferred
Advanced English degree is considered highly desirable, plus 5-7 years of experience.
Bachelor’s Degree in English is required; Master’s Degree or higher preferred.
Florida teaching certification preferred
Experience working on a Google platform
Must have the ability to be consistently present in the classroom (no remote option)
SKILL SET REQUIREMENT
- Ability to display comprehensive knowledge of curriculum and instruction within the appropriate content area and/or grade level
- Use formative and summative assessment data to inform instructional decisions in the classroom
- Highly developed collaborative leadership skills and the ability to work well with and through others, including colleagues, parents, and students
- Intentionally create positive relationships that lead to a learning environment in which all students feel seen, heard, respected, represented, valued and appreciated
- Function as an advocate, advisor, mentor, and coach for students to promote independent thinking and learning
- Effective organizational skills including but not limited to lesson planning, implementing units of study, differentiating instruction, designing and implementing assessments
- Ability to monitor student progress and report information in a timely manner
- Ability and willingness to work collaboratively with parents, including initiating conversations about student performance and development
- Highly developed communication, presentation, and problem-solving skills
- Select and plan appropriate engaging learning and teaching activities that are in alignment with Windermere Preparatory School and Nord Anglia Education
- Exercise good classroom management with the use of fair and consistent standards and appropriate sanctions that are clearly articulated to the students
- Provide a safe learning environment in which students can take intellectual risks
- Encourage students to confidently and freely ask questions while demonstrating higher order thinking and learning
- Apply a wide range of assessment strategies consistent with course content and objectives
- Differentiate instruction and assessment to meet the diverse needs of students
- Identify students who need additional academic assistance and influence needed actions accordingly
- Provide opportunities for student expression using spoken, written, and electronic forms of communication.
- Create an environment of mutual respect that fosters a global mindset
- Assist students in taking responsibility for their own actions by assisting them with setting realistic goals for themselves
- Use learning resources and technology to enhance lessons where appropriate
- Provide accurate reports on student progress and maintain open communication with ensuring that these reports are accurate and constructive
- Attend functions in support of school and community
- Attend all meetings as required