Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: Oakland, California
Type: Part Time
Internal Number: 36743
(80% Long-Term Substitute Position: Semester 1, 2023-2024 School Year)
Head-Royce School is seeking a culturally responsive, flexible, and enthusiastic educator to join our 9th and 12th grade English teams as a long-term substitute for the first semester of the 2023-2024 school year.
In addition to teaching three courses, this position would also involve advising a cohort of 11th grade students. We seek applicants who have a strong academic background, experience working with students at this specific age level, and familiarity with anti-racist pedagogy.
- Demonstrated knowledge and practice of culturally responsive teaching and learning.
- Expertise in teaching English (writing, reading, critical thinking) and / or Humanities.
- Collaborative, flexible colleague with an ability to teach the full range of learners.
- Clear communicator with students, colleagues, and parents.
- Demonstrated knowledge of a child’s social/emotional development.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Knowledge of appropriate use of technology to enhance the learning experience.
Located on a 22-acre campus in Oakland, California, Head-Royce is a co-educational, independent K-12 day school with a 135-year history. Our mission is to inspire in our students a lifelong love of learning and pursuit of academic excellence, to promote understanding of and respect for diversity that makes our society strong, and to encourage active and responsible global citizenship.
Head-Royce enrolls 900 students in the three separate divisions — Lower, Middle and Upper Schools — and provides a dynamic, whole-child education to every student. The school’s current initiatives include advancing an innovative, student-centered program; promoting an inclusive community; driving deeper civic engagement; sustaining a culture of balance and well-being; and carefully stewarding our resources.
Compensation: Range is $73,000-$122,000 (depending on years of experience/education). Pro-rated for part-time.
Location: Oakland, California
Travel: Light, though professional development conferences possible
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree(s) preferred
Start Date: August 1, 2023
Interested candidates are asked to submit a letter of interest as well as a current resume. If you have an experience or desire to work with a particular age group, please indicate that in your applications materials. Application materials should be submitted through our website.
Head-Royce School is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. We want to have the best available person in every job. School policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on age, color, creed, disability, gender, marital status, national origin or ancestry, race, religion, registered domestic partner status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, a medical condition including genetic characteristics, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. Head-Royce School seeks to be a community in which every individual is treated with sensitivity, courtesy and respect.
You are being directed to Paycom to apply for this position. Paycom is a third-party vendor who manages our candidate process and payroll. You will be asked to set up an account. This is the first step in applying. Thank you.
- Bachelor’s Degree; ideal candidates will have an academic background in the Humanities.
- Knowledge of appropriate use of technology to enhance the learning experience
- 2-5 years minimum teaching experience
- Understanding and support of Head-Royce’s core values with strong emphasis on equity and social justice
Additional Qualifications (preferred, not required)
- Advanced degrees/certification are desirable