New York, New York
Galloway, New Jersey
San Diego, California
Location: New York, New York
Type: Full Time
The Quad Preparatory School
Upper School Special Education English Language Arts Teacher
Anticipated Opening for the 2023-24 School Year
Reports to: Upper School English Department Chair
Annual Salary Range: $60,000-$80,000
At Quad Prep, we are on a mission — to transform the lives of neurodiverse, twice-exceptional people by redefining the experience of school. Through the collective, collaborative, and empathic work of our teachers and clinicians, we are empowering our students to engage with the exciting and wonderful diversity of this world.
As we enter our 10th year, we are excited to welcome fellow innovators and collaborative colleagues to our team to be a part of this inspiring and impactful mission. At Quad Prep, a New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) Accredited School, we are eager to create challenging and engaging learning experiences for our students, to seek diverse perspectives, and to work together to continuously refine and redefine best practices in neurodiverse education. The Quad Preparatory School actively seeks to advance diversity through its programs and hiring.
Why work at Quad Prep?
- ACCREDITED SCHOOL: Quad Prep was recognized as an outstanding school when it received accreditation last year through NYSAIS.
- COMMUNITY: We are committed to building a joyful and inclusive culture where everybody is celebrated for who they are.
- COLLEAGUES: Our colleagues are inspiring, consummate innovators and are at their happiest collaborating to create personalized solutions for each student.
- STUDENTS We guarantee that you will learn something eye-opening every single day from our students — and have a lot of joy and laughter along the way!
- DEEP PROFESSIONAL LEARNING: Quad Prep supports mission-driven educators and clinicians to grow their professional skills and influence in the neurodiversity educational space. Close collaboration with colleagues, coaching from supportive leaders, and thoughtful, in-depth professional learning programs keep us growing.
- GENEROUS AND COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS
- Health: Medical, Dental, Vision
- Student Loan repayment
- Retirement Plan contribution
- Group Life Plan
- Disability Insurance
- Generous Parental Leave
- WORK LIFE BALANCE: In addition to a ten-month school year during which our staff are offered on average 33 days off (approximately 7 weeks) for scheduled holidays and school breaks, we provide generous preparation periods throughout each week, limiting the number of after work hours you will need to work — so that you can live the life you wish for — inside and outside of our school. Additionally, our students are dismissed midday each Friday in order for you to meet with your team, plan, and prep.
- PROTECTED TIME * Staffing permitted, we strive to provide coverage to allow you to learn from one another, participate in one of our special PD programs, conduct original research, develop special projects, and participate in our initiatives to create the culture YOU want to work in.
- EXTRAS You can build a private practice or tutor onsite during after school hours at low-cost reduced rates, available only to our Quad Prep staff.
Who We Are
(If Quad Prep is for you, you'll read what's below and feel, "That's me!")
At Quad Prep, we are guided by values that we hold dear and we have developed an innovative set of practices to meet our mission. We are:
Groundbreaking: We ignite our students’ talents and are passionate about their futures. You are:
- Passionate about our work and our mission
- Creative and excited about reaching each and every learner in new ways
- Excited to help create new, evidence-based best practices in this rapidly evolving field
- Able to set high expectations of both students and yourself and discover ways to meet them
Collaborative: We function with an exceedingly deep degree of collaboration. You:
- Communicate effectively with colleagues
- Seek to understand yourself and others in order to welcome new perspectives
- Are generous of spirit and willing to give and receive feedback and input freely
- Are kind, welcoming, and inclusive
Trustworthy: We are steadfast and are accountable to our students and each other. You:
- Can be counted on to do what you say you will do
- Have a high level of ownership for personal and team results
- Can purposefully develop skills to find success in your work and our learning community
- Ask for support when you need it
- Project an unflappable, firm, and kind presence to our students
Constantly Learning and Growing: We value continued growth and learning. You:
- Seek opportunities to learn and grow in your professional practice
- Support colleagues by sharing best practices and nurturing their learning
- Help the organization grow and improve by developing and sharing new ideas and approaches
Resourceful: At Quad Prep, we dig deep to meet our mission. You:
- Are highly effective and dedicated
- Show initiative
- Display good judgment and sensibility
- Excellent at supporting students inside and outside the classroom
Flexible: At Quad Prep, we never give up on each other and are driven by the ethos of “not if, but how.” You are:
- Open to new ideas
- Nimble in fluid, changing environments
- Excited by growth, change, and innovation
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The Quad Preparatory School is looking for Upper School English Language Arts teachers able to teach grades 8-12 for the 2023-24 school year. Teachers will provide academic instruction and social-emotional support to students in collaboration with our clinicians. Our classrooms consist of no more than ten students, and some classes are taught one-to-one or in dyads.
Teachers have the opportunity to receive mentorship, coaching, and support from the clinicians as well as academic administrators.
- Plan and implement high-quality, engaging English lessons (including literature, grammar, writing, and vocabulary development) that are differentiated to meet the learning needs of the students.
- Regularly assess the students and the curriculum, adapting content and instruction as appropriate; communicating assessment results to parents.
- Subscribe to and implement the school’s philosophy of progressive and personalized education for twice-exceptional children.
- Collaborate with the psychosocial teachers in planning and implementing an integrated program for executive functioning within the academic curriculum.
- Map and evaluate curriculum.
- Collaborate with other members of the English Language Arts department to ensure a vertically aligned K-12 English program.
This job operates in a school setting. The school is located on the fifth and sixth floors of a building with an elevator. This role requires working in various locations around the school and occasional travel to the Lower School campus approximately two blocks away.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and listen. This position is active and involves continuous standing, walking, and climbing stairs. The employee must be able to lift and/or move items above or around 100 pounds. Typing is required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time exempt position in an educational facility that is open eight hours a day. Teachers and Clinicians work ten months out of the year according to the academic calendar (late August to late June). Occasional evening or weekend hours may be required. In general, though, hours are Monday-Friday 8am - 4pm.
Want to learn more about Quad Prep? Connect with us!
***Note that all employees are required to be fully vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19. Medical and Religious Exemptions may be provided.***
ADA/AAP/EEO Statement: The Quad Preparatory School is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. We take steps to assure that people with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. Accordingly, if reasonable accommodation is required to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of the position, and/or to receive all other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People and Culture department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Quad Preparatory School is based on an inclusive philosophy that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, marital status, creed, sexual orientation, familial status, citizenship, veteran or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law in its hiring procedures and policies.
To apply, visit:
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in English education, special education or English.
- Minimum of one year paid experience teaching middle and/or high school students.
Preferred Education and Experience:
- At least three years experience as a full-time high school English teacher.
- Experience using the Hochman Method to teach writing.
- Master’s degree in English education, English, or a related field.
- Special education training, including training in the areas of gifted education and twice-exceptional youth.
- Secondary English and/or Special Education teaching credential.
- Experience teaching twice-exceptional youth.